View of buildings surrounding the main plaza of Tesuque pueblo, located on a tributary of the Rio Grande river, about eight miles north of Santa Fe. According to James Stevenson's original note for this photograph (prepared circa 1885), the people of Tesuque had become 'advanced in pastoral and agricultural industries by reason of their extensive intercourse with the whites at Santa Fe, though they still use the old Mexican wooden cart and plow. The latter can be seen in the foreground of the picture. The true art of making pottery has deteriorated among them, and it is manufactured now only to meet the demands of the purchasers who frequently visit them from Santa Fe.'
Due to the nature of these images, prints will reproduce any signs of age, wear or damage that occurred before they were archived by the Pitt Rivers Museum.