View of buildings at Nambe pueblo, described only a few years later as virtually uninhabited ('almost extinct'), with mountains in the distance. According to James Stevenson's original note for this photograph (prepared circa 1885), Nambe 'is a quaint old village about which may be found many old relics, especially the metate, or stone used in grinding corn. Many ancient specimens of pottery have been obtained from this village. It is situated about twenty miles toward the interior from San Ildefonso, and is sufficiently remote from the commonly travel[l]ed route north and south to be left quite undisturbed by the tourist and curiosity seekers.'
Due to the nature of these images, prints will reproduce any signs of age, wear or damage that occurred before they were archived by the Pitt Rivers Museum.