View of buildings at Santa Clara pueblo, with the Sangre de Cristo mountains in the distance. According to James Stevenson's original note for this photograph (prepared circa 1885), the 'village is situated but a few miles from the high bluffs which are well shown in [the photograph]. These bluffs are composed of a yellowish, soft volcanic tufa in which thousands of artificial caves have been dug by a preceding race. [...] The people of Santa Clara have no knowledge or tradition regarding these caves but say they belong to the "Ancients".'
Due to the nature of these images, prints will reproduce any signs of age, wear or damage that occurred before they were archived by the Pitt Rivers Museum.