View of two men standing with a large wooden cart, known locally as a carreta, being pulled by four oxen. According to James Stevenson's original note for this photograph (prepared circa 1885), the people 'usually attach two yoke of oxen to this cart on account of its great weight. The wheels are about five feet in diameter, and from ten to fourteen inches thick. [...] These carts are never greased, and when twenty or thirty of them are en route from the pueblo to the harvest fields in the early morning their screeching can be heard for many miles around. The oxen are usually driven by two Indians, one on each side, armed with a long pole, tipped at one end with sharp metal, with which the oxen are prodded. The yokes, as shown in the picture, are attached to the horns of the cattle, on the top of the head by wrapping them securely with raw-hide thongs.' The wooden structures on either side of the carreta are animal pens with storage platforms and drying racks.
Due to the nature of these images, prints will reproduce any signs of age, wear or damage that occurred before they were archived by the Pitt Rivers Museum.