View of multi-storeyed buildings at Oraibi pueblo on Third Mesa, with crops drying on a roof in the foreground. According to an original note by James Stevenson (prepared circa 1885), Oraibi 'occupies a position on the top of a mesa on the opposite side of a broad valley some twelve miles west of [Shimopavi]. [...] These people are situated so remotely from the ordinary routes of travel that they are less frequently visited by white people. [...] Their village is old and in bad repair; their people are the best known of all the pueblos and comprise a population of about 700, which equals all the other [Hopi] pueblos combined.'
Due to the nature of these images, prints will reproduce any signs of age, wear or damage that occurred before they were archived by the Pitt Rivers Museum.