View of multi-storeyed buildings at Taos pueblo, a settlement for more than six centuries and the northernmost of the Rio Grande pueblos, located about seventy-five miles north-east of Santa Fe. The photograph was taken by John Hillers from the north side and shows the pueblo's south house cluster, the buildings of which rise to a height of seven storeys. According to James Stevenson's original note for this photograph (prepared circa 1885), the 'village as shown [...] is divided into two groups about two hundred yards apart, between which flows the little stream of the Rio de Taos. The village is one of the finest and most perfect in the whole system of pueblos.'
Due to the nature of these images, prints will reproduce any signs of age, wear or damage that occurred before they were archived by the Pitt Rivers Museum.